A virtual tour of important sites in the history of the original New Orleans Tribune, founded by Dr. Louis Charles Roudanez.
1. Original office of the New Orleans Tribune: 21 Conti Street.
2. Tribune offices after November 1866: 122 & 124 Exchange Alley. The Tribune moved to nearby Exchange Alley in November, 1866. The entire block is now occupied by the Louisiana State Supreme Court.
3. The St. Louis Hotel, site of a large antebellum slave exchange
4. The Mechanics’ Institute, site of the July 30, 1866 massacre
5. Residence and medical practice of Dr. Louis Charles Roudanez: 179 Customhouse St.
6. Tomb of Dr. Louis Charles Roudanez: St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, Alley 9.
(Also see the historic dedication of the tomb)
7. Tomb of Jean Baptiste Roudanez: St. Louis Cemetery No. 2. Jean Baptiste Roudanez and Aimée Potens (his mother) are buried in Square 3 of this famous cemetery. This section honors many civil rights pioneers of African descent, including Henriette Delille, Rodolphe Desdunes, Arthur Esteves, André Callious, and several others.
8. Site of Paul Trevigne’s residence: 1715 Columbus Street. Trévigne was the brilliant editor of L’Union and the New Orleans Tribune.
9. Residence of Jean Baptiste Roudanez: 1514 Dumaine Street
10. Economy Hall: 1422 Ursulines Street
11. St. Augustine’s Church: 1210 Governor Nichols Street; Tomb of the Unknown Slave. St. Augustine Catholic Church, located in Faubourg Tremé, was started by free people of color. When it opened in 1842, the congregation was equally divided between the enslaved, free people of color, and whites. It is the oldest predominantly Black parish in the United States.
12. Congo Square
13. Final residence of Aimée Potens: now 829–833 Ursalines Street
14. St. Louis Cathedral, where Louis Charles Roudanez and Louise Célie Saulay married in 1857
15. The Village, Algiers Point. Depot for Louisiana’s first slaves.